Saturday 1 February 2014

day home- Robert Munsch!

In the day home for the next few weeks I am doing author studies with the children. Our first was a huge success! we read at least 4 Robert Munsch books a day, and I had specially picked one each day that I had activities for.
This was such a success that I think I will have to do another Robert Munsch week in a few weeks, (next week we are doing Mo Willems and I already have all my library books!)
 the books! we actually had a few more, as my day home children were so excited for the week they brought some to share!
Kayla reading a Munsch favorite, Up Up Down. how sweet is she!?!

So! day one!
Pigs! we read the book, then I hid 70 pigs around the house.  On our study board I had 7 pig pens, each pig pen could hold 10 pigs, this got the children counting, and so they could know how many pigs were left to find!
 



I also left out all my left over pieces for the children to use in a craft,
 
 
Day 2! we read smelly socks! So I had socks for the children to decorate, they were able to hang their socks on the board, and I had clothes pins and more socks in the water table to explore.

 
Day 3 was Stephanies pony tail, this activity didn't go quite as planned but they still enjoyed it! I had materials to make mask and add crazy hair to their masks.

 
Day 4 we read the Paper bag princess, for a craft I set out paper bags, a princess cut out and other items.  Kayla was the only one interested in doing a craft on this day,

I also put tape lines on the floor, which I did not tell the children what they were for, so they used them as race tracks for cars!
Kayla has always loved the part in the book when the dragon blows down the forests, so then I put out straws, and a variety of balls, so they could huff and puff and blow the balls around!


Friday we read Put me in a book,

 
I gave the children pages that they could use to make their own story, or pages of an open book they could color in.
I had planned on writing a letter to Robert Munsch at the end of the week (I've heard sometimes he writes back!) I thought the children could tell them their favorite book and color him a picture.
The day home children left early on Friday though, and I wanted them to be included in our letter so I think we will write Mr. Munsch on Monday!

Oh and we made 'M' shaped cookies this week!
here is our board from the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment