Saturday 15 March 2014

day home DINOSAURS!

We spent the last 2 weeks exploring dinosaurs in the day home!
Here is what we did!
 

our home made dino dig.  Which was a total fail.  So Blake got a dino dig from Christmas, he loved it! kept him busy for so long, he was so interested in digging out the dinosaurs.  So I thought, I could make one! googled it...got some plaster of paris, sand from the sand box.....water.....I made cement! I cant remember which dinosaurs I put in there, but I REALLY hope they were not favorites, because I'm pretty sure they are never coming out! The children tried, I tried, it did keep us all occupied for a long LONG time. and surprisingly they were not mad or frustrated that we couldn't even chip off the tiniest little bits of the cement. oh well, wont be trying that one again!
 the books!
 I had to point out this book. I found it at the library, and for some reason was just not at all interested but I wanted at least 3 dinosaur books for every dinosaur day so I picked it out anyway, was not at all looking forward to reading it....this is a GREAT book!! There are dinosaurs hidden all through the book, the children loved searching for them! they were so interested in the book!
just a little something for the children to add to throughout the week


This was a clearance toy from toys y us, just weird sandy play dough with dino figures. the volcanos could launch playdough balls, then there was 2 dinosaurs. Basically you make a city out of the building molds and the the dinosaurs destroy it. I can not believe how long they played with this!!

 Dinosaur scones for snack!
 Dinosaurs frozen in water balloons.  I wasn't really too sure how this would go over, but the children were thrilled! We rubbed some salt on them to test out melting techniques, then poured hot water over.

 Then to keep interest going I add yellow color in the bottom and blue in the top, the children then made green water!
 look how pretty this looks! Moon sand with flour, olive oil (yes! you don't need to have baby oil on hand for moon sand!) then for something different I added some oatmeal. 
 beans...

 and this is what it looked like when they were done playing....
 dino print painting!
 making cookies, instead of rolling out dough and having the children cut the cookies, I give them each a chunk of dough to make their own cookies, they can roll it or shape it, this is so much easier for me, and lasts so much longer for them! They spend so much time shaping their own cookies!
 here are some of the children's creations..
 here are the dino print cookies I made!
 
 volcano splatter painting!  I can never seem to get the right consistency for blow/splatter painting. and I think this an activity that would be much better in the summer outside!
 we made a paper mache volcano! I taped a small round bowl over an icecream pail to get the shape. kayla helped me make the volcano, the other children  watched and commented on how gross the paper mache looked! when it was dry the children painted it.
 Then we made a dinosaur world! 


dinosaur shape collage
 the childrens art
 this project started out as making dinosaur feet out of Kleenex boxes,
 and ended like this..... I don't normally post pictures of day home children, but I think this picture should be ok! :)
 Blake is a robot
 kayla added a carrot nose to her hat.
And nic came home to see a line of cereal bags downstairs...I didn't have empty cereal boxes so...

oh and most importantly we danced to walk the dinosaur (the song from ice age) so SOO many times!

No comments:

Post a Comment