Wednesday 5 March 2014

day home, book studies

Last week in the day home I had planned to do a week of Marie Louise Gay, HOWEVER! I forgot to put the books on hold at the library so only had 4 stella and sam books, and I was really lacking in creativity to come up with activities. SO! I just picked a few random books! We read lots of old favorites and then planned activities around a few,

We read Dr Ted, and fire fighter Ted. I find these books funny! So for Dr. Ted the children were given medicine droppers and syringes to drop dyed vinegar on baking soda.

 We read if you give a cat a cupcake, and if you give a moose a muffin, and baked cupcakes!
Check out the heart shapes, I bought a heart shaped mini cupcake pan from target for 90% off!!
 We read a favorite from my childhood!  The monster at the end of this book, I put out blocks, mega blocks and boxes for the children to create monster traps.


these are Blake's creations, the red on is the brick wall from the book, the colored one is the wooden wall and the yellow snake is the string. 
 Another book from my childhood, I love colors.  I put out newsprint and invited the children to color in the shapes.
Kayla LOVED this activity!
 Our finished project...sort of~ I kept it out for a couple days, this is after day 1, more colors were added later.
 We read a book about fox's, my daddy, or something...cant remember the title and have already returned it to the library! In the book the Daddy and baby fox go and check out the homes, (dens, nest, ect) of other animals.  So we made a little nest in the playroom!
 I would consider this a pinterest fail, the idea was to mix corn starch and white glue.  It did not mix well, I thought I would get a few shapes out to paint but only got 3.  So this went with Stella and Sam, painting butterflys.  The first day we made the dough, then painted them the next day.

 This is all the left over 'dough'.  I will definitely not do this again! And they didn't really ever dry all the way.
 
We explored so many different books this week! It was lots of fun to not be limited to 1 author or theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment